VEGAN CHILLI CON CARNE
A delicious vegan chilli con carne recipe that’s warming and comforting whilst being completely healthy and nutritious.
Don’t believe anyone that tells you vegan food is boring!!!
Vegan food has a bad reputation of being boring, uninspiring and tasteless. Whoever said that obviously doesn’t know how to cook a decent meal using basic, wholesome plant-based food!
It’s as easy to make vegan food healthy as it is unhealthy. The same goes with the flavour – it can be bland, or bursting with amazing flavours, it all depends on what you add into it.
To make a vegan savoury dish both healthy and tasty, it’s important to add lots of different herbs and spices to bring the dish to life. Herbs and spices are definitely a must in every kitchen, especially a vegan one!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g cooked red kidney beans – soak overnight then cook in simmering water for 1.5 hours.
- 240g cooked black beans
- 200g sweetcorn – canned or frozen
- 2x 400g cans East End Foods chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 10g dark chocolate
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the spices and add a splash of water to create a paste.
- Add in the chopped red and yellow pepper and crushed garlic and cook for a another 1 minute. Add cooked beans, sweetcorn, chopped tomato, tomato puree and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take off the heat and add in the dark chocolate, lime juice and maple syrup.
- Serve with brown rice, homemade guacamole, homemade salsa and homemade tortilla chips (recipe below)
- 2 tortillas/wraps
- Olive oil
- Brush each side of the wraps with olive oil and cut into small triangles.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake in a 200*C/180*C fan assisted oven for 5-10 minutes or until crispy.